Friday, June 22, 2007

Going to loose my voice soon

Did triage at the outpatient pharmacy for the past couple of days. Talked so much to the patients until the PT asked me - your throat not dry ar? Actually hor, it's more like descicated (sic?). Face also cramped from smiling. I need to yak continuously if not I start nodding off.

However, I still really need to brush out on the store organisation and the OTC meds available as well as the chewren dosing. CHEWREN DOSING .

Luckily, I have a couple of PTs with me doing triage - today's the last day of the skool hols, so a flurry of last min medical visits flowed in and 200+ patients decided to all come in at 1700hrs - until the cashier queue can line up to the side aisle pharmacy.

Had to endure an elderly husband who came to collect meds for his dear wife. He asked plenty of questions about the meds, and I had a trying time explaining in layman terms. Sometimes I dunno whether patients have the fear of offending the omnipotent doctor or pharmacists have a better listening ear and are more receptive to the patients or does the public have a vision of us being product promoters and shopkeepers? I hope it's not the latter 2 options as that is not what I strived to be in the profession.

Reminders:

Promethazine für die Kinder ist 0,1mg pro kg VPT und nicht mehr als 10ml
Prophylactic dose of cephalexin for UTI in chewren is 25mg/kg ON max 2g
Prophylactic dose of cephalexin for endocarditis is 50mg/kg 1 hr b4 procedure max 2g
Treatment dose of cephalexin for UTI is 50-100mg/kg depending on severity.

No comments: