Friday, September 14, 2007

Adventures in Coamoxiclavunate and Amoxicillin

Scene 1:
Doctor came in to fill own prescription due to an Infection. MO currently in paed round.

Dosed self with a very high (1250mg BD x 7/7) regime for Augmentin. My PT recommended to go down to the regular adult 625mg BD

Script sent in for typing and packing. I got to dispense it. Then the doc pulled out Frank Shann then point to dosing .... That's the problem with paed MOs trying to dose themselves - they forgot that they are adults and there's a different dosing regime. If doc gets 1250mg BD, I congratulate doc for making doc's potty doc's second home for at least 7/7

Scene 2:
Patient came in with prescription.
Can't see the weight clearly and called the patient. Thought 7.3 kg, turned out to be 73kg (for a 9 yo!!!)
Doc wrote Augmentin 500 mg TDS 14/14. Thought he must have confused with amoxi and augmentin. So called up and ask whether want to change to adult dosing for augmentin - 625mg BD. He gives ok.
Patient called. "Hi, got any drug allergy?" "Amoxicillin" @@
Called doctor, "Hi did the patient tell you he's allergic to amoxicillin?" "He neber tell. So what's the matter? "He's allergic to amoxicillin and you prescribed augmentin." "Augmentin corect loh" @@
Later changed to clarithromycin 500mg BD

Scene 3:
Doc wrote script for self. I got to dispense. I saw Amoxicillin 500mg TDS 10/7. Got worried because of compliance issues and doc doesn't look so bad. I asked doc whether wan to continue with such a long course - doc shoots back "I will keep the rest of the meds when I feel better. I AM A DOCTOR!!!" But I think this doc doesn't behave like one - problems with sitting in clouds tsk tsk. But then got meet one super nice doc, only thing is that doc not ready *sad sad*

No comments: