Sunday, March 04, 2007

Laelia rubescens - of all colour forms, I've only the oddballs =.=

Lucy had not seen one before and Woon Cheng said he imported a batch that had not sprouted yet. So here's a pic of how Laelia rubescens var. aurea looks like:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Verli chio right *slaps own horse's butt*

I was hoping for a pink or purple though (sorry, not interested in an exchange as yet) Hmmm. should I invest in more with my ang bao $$$? But then this plant does not flower frequently until it reached the humongous (may be sic) size that my see fook has for his var. alba form:

I bought 2 divisions which I paid in instalments (i.e. not cheap hor)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Haven't opened full though =.=. Some sellers will label their var. semi-alba as var. alba thinking that the purple throat is integral of the flower which is not true.

My plants are pathetic because they are small. Most of the mature plants can retain their spikes for the next flowering but mine already browned off =,=. TMDKKJ bleh.

Interesting to know that most long spiked Laeliae sold in their native lands as cut flowers usually comes with a bit of psuedobulb make the flowers last long. EYOF also uses that technique to make their Oncidiinae hybrids last longer.

No comments: